Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Aussie sport bucket list

I have always been a big fan of lists and I read with interest the other day when Sports Illustrated's (www.si.com) top online writers listed the sporting events they'd love to tick off before the eventually, well, tick off.

So I got to thinking, what sporting events would i like to see before my days are up. It wasn't easy. Or actually it was easy to think of things, lots of things.

The trick was narrowing it down to just five. I did cheat a little though - I have divided my lists into Australian and international (the overseas list will come next week).

So here goes in no particular order - check out mine and please let me know yours in the comments section:

AFL GRAND FINAL - no one in this country or at least no where in this country does sport quite like Melbourne and this, along with the Melbourne Cup is one of their two biggest events. Would be great to see two local teams involved in the big day at the G too.

RIP CURL PRO BELLS BEACH - I am not that big a fan of getting all stoked and that sort of cool stuff that hangs around one of these events but I think this would be something special. Easter at Bells always throws up some great surfing.

STAWELL GIFT - If I was at Bells I'd have to duck up the road to Stawell for the gift that occurs every year around the same time. I hear the carnival atmosphere is outstanding.

RUGBY LEAGUE STATE OF ORIGIN GAME THREE - This one would be a cracker but it would have to be a tied series with the final game in Brisbane. With a solid brawl and a Blues victory for good measure!

AUSTRALIAN OPEN TENNIS MEN'S FINAL - Federer v Nadal, epic 5 setter in Australia. Enough said.

I found it hard to leave out my local club rugby derby between Manly and Warringah and the Boxing Day Test in Melbourne but hey, maybe i'll find the time for them too!

I think that's it.....for now! I reserve the right to make changes!! Let's hear your list.

3 comments:

  1. NRL Grand Final - Dragons defeat Manly
    Quiksilver Pro - Gold Coast
    Derby Day - Flemmington (Emirates Tent)
    Boxing Day Test Match (Day 1)
    Socceroos v Italy (2022 FIFA World Cup Final ANZ Stadium)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sitting on a cold windy cliff at easter miles from the nearest pub.......the stawell gift so good there not even having it in stawell any more, with sub standard runners in bibs, please you can do better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darwin boat race
    consitution dock two days after boxing day

    ReplyDelete