Wednesday, August 19, 2009

International sport bucket list

Last week I wrote about my Australian sport bucket list and I was surprised by how many of my friends and associates discussed their lists with me in the days that followed.

Maybe I shouldn't have been surprised as it is an interesting topic that i think for most people could change on an almost daily basis.

I wish those people had shared their lists with everyone else via this site because it would have made for spirited reading and debate!

Anyway, the Aussie list is done and now it is time for my overseas list.

I will preface this list by admitting i am obsessed with US sport and also that this task was near impossible to narrow to just five so i went for six! Here goes, again in no particular order:

AMERICAN COLLEGE FOOTBALL - Texas v Oklahoma. The Red River Rivalry or Shootout -I don't care what you call it these days. And I think my preference would be to watch this in Austin too. Or maybe Norman?? Something about Longhorn cheerleaders though!

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FOOTBALL FINAL - Give me Man Utd away against just about anyone on the continent. AC Milan, Barcelona, Inter, Real Madrid, Galatasaray - I don't mind.

WORLD SERIES GAME 7 - If you know me there are probably no surprises that this would be in the new Yankee Stadium. I don't even care who it is against. And I wouldn't even care if it was in Game 4, 5 or 6 as long as it was a ring clincher. Second best (or maybe even better) would be to see the Yanks knock off the evil Red Sox in the ALCS the week or so before.

THE GRAND NATIONAL - All that pomp and flesh. I mean horseflesh. And I love to punt on things I know little about.

NCAA MEN'S SWIMMING CHAMPIONSHIPS - Some say this is as good as watching the Olympic swimming program. Enormous pressure. As a swim fan I have to see this once.

SUPER BOWL - Preferably in New Orleans but I am not too picky on this one. And I wanna be greedy and be there for the whole week. I'll start with the Maxim and Victoria's Secret parties.

There - that's not asking for much. What do you think? Let us all see your list.

5 comments:

  1. I was lucky enough to see the Eddie Aikau at Waimea a few years back. Lucky as it is not held each year. Unbelievable big wave surfing

    If you are into surfing, add that to your bucket list

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Big Wave David

    Quick question before i dive into my top five - Are we talking about single day events or tournaments as well? Say Football World Cup?

    Anyway (single day events at this stage):

    - Football World Cup Final in South Africa 2010
    - Superbowl in Portland, Oregon or somewhere in the deep south (New Orleans does sound good)
    - Rugby World Cup final - not in NZ though
    - One-Day Cricket World Cup final - In West Indies
    - Xtreme Winter games half pipe final (blokes and chicks) - In Canada

    Cheers balls

    ReplyDelete
  3. what up dave
    here you go...

    -fifa world cup final, preferably with a traditional euro powerhouse playing a south american powerhouse
    -sunday at the masters
    -college football - michigan vs. ohio state or alabama vs. auburn (when both teams are top 10)
    -mets/yankees subway series game 7 (mets win)
    -ncaa basketball final 4 in new orleans (done this and can't reccomend it highly enough)

    i guess that makes me 1 for 5 on the bucket list

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree on the "Eddie" at Waimea Bay. Others would be Champions League Final, Ashes Test at Lords, Super Bowl and The Masters at Augusta

    ReplyDelete